CBD Oil Usage in Beagles: The Authoritative Guide
Since there has been rather extensive research regarding CBD oil usage in addition to other methods, showing in humans can benefit greatly from cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory effects; which can help with aggression, anxiety, pain, and neurological disorders; it was only logical that eventually, research was going to be done to see if our beagles (dogs in general) would be able to benefit, as well.
Interestingly, many veterinarians recommend CBD oil for beagles (well, any dogs), as more veterinary scientific research slowly becomes available. So lets some interesting details:
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a non-psychotropic [non-mind-altering] cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant. It creates calming and pain-relieving sensations without the harmful intoxicating effects.
What is THC?
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the psychotropic [mind-altering] cannabinoid found in the cannabis plant.
The Opposing Relationship Between CBD and THC
CBD and THC have an inherently opposing relationship. Plants raised with high levels of CBD have lower levels of THC, while plants raised to have high levels of THC have lower levels of CBD.
CBD, Hemp & Marijuana – What’s the Difference?
Granted, they both originate from the Sativa plant family. That being said, they have completely different properties and results accordingly.
- CBD – Made from flowers, leaves, and occasionally stems of cannabis plants.
- Hemp – Made from cannabis seeds, which contains trace or non-existent amounts of both CBD and THC. Less than 0.3% of tetrahydrocannabinol [THC], however, cannabidiol [CBD]l is present.
- Marijuana – A highly concentrated source (up to 30% of tetrahydrocannabinol [THC]. This specific component results in the ‘high’ that many individuals are familiar with.
The Endocannabinoid System and Its Effect
As with humans, beagles (and all other dogs) have an endocannabinoid system (ECS) receptive to CBD (oil). The ECS is best described as a meta-system due to its permeation with all 11 major physiological systems. It is a network of receptors found throughout the body. The ECS acts as an equilibrium for the other systems in the body.
Short-term natural endocannabinoid substances are synthesized on demand by the body to maintain homeostasis [a stable internal environment]. If and when these internal controls fall behind their body, supplementing with extra CBD can help. Interestingly enough: research suggests that supplementation may cause the body to produce more receptors; consequentially rendering the natural cannabinoids more effective.
There are two forms of receptors have been identified: CB1 and CB2 receptors. CB1 receptors are found prominently predominantly in the brain, nervous system, glands, and organs. CB2 receptors, on the other hand, are found mainly in the regulatory cells of the immune system. Many tissues contain both receptors, each linked to a different action.
A crucial role of the endocannabinoid system is governing inflammation by regulating the immune response. An underactive response may render the body susceptible to disease and infections; whereas an overactive response can lead to auto-immune issues and allergic reactions.
How Does CBD Benefit My Beagle?
For beagles, the potential health benefits of CBD may include:
- Alleviating chronic inflammation – CBD interacts with receptors in immune cells to reduce inflammation.
- Decreases nausea and encouraging appetite
- Fighting degenerative diseases and age-related decline
- Inhibiting the growth of cancer cells – CBD may prevent tumors and may also kill cancer cells, slow their growth or metastasis [spreading].
- Enhance circulation to the body
- Boosting cognitive function in the brain
- Reduction of high blood sugar
- Mitigate epilepsy – CBD oil has anticonvulsant properties. It helps prevent the erratic firing of nerve impulses, which contribute to seizures and can reduce the frequency, severity, and length of seizures.
- Palliative Care – helps to ease any pain and fear that your beagle may be enduring.
- Promoting bone growth
- Reduction of inflammation/pain – Studies have shown CBD to enhance signaling of anandamide, a neurotransmitter that can dampen pain signals. CBD also reduces inflammation, which can relieve associated pain.
- Relieving anxiety – CBD helps moderate excitatory impulses, leading to a calmer, more relaxed state. It has also been shown to boost levels of serotonin, similar to anti-anxiety medications, which can improve mood as well as sleep quality and duration.
- Speeding muscle repair after exercise
- Supporting overall wellness
How Can I Provide CBD To My Beagle?
- Dog Treats: What beagle doesn’t love their treats? The great thing about premade CBD treats is that they come in a wide variety, allowing you to pick the one most suitable for your beagle the most. Different flavors, dosages; etc; are all variable options.
- Topicals: If your beagle suffers from a rash, allergies, skin conditions, or muscle aches; topical creams may do just the trick. It can be directly applied to your beagle’s skin, and it can provide quick relief for acute pain.
- Capsules: In this form factor, hiding it in your beagle’s food or treat of choice is the best option.
- Tinctures: can be applied using drops directly under your beagle’s tongue. They are absorbed rapidly into the bloodstream, and they provide faster results than treats or topicals.
Full Spectrum, Distillate, and Isolate
Full-spectrum CBD is the least refined and contains the greatest amount of terpenes and cannabinoids. These compounds work together with the CBD to create a complementary effect that can boost effectiveness. However, since it contains more plant matter derivatives, it tends to have a grassy flavor, which may not be preferable for a finicky beagle.
CBD distillate is a mid-range choice. It will contain enough plant matter derivatives and terpenes for a complementary effect, with a milder taste. Full-spectrum and distillate selections have essentially no THC [less than 0.3%] and CBD isolate is stripped of THC completely, rendering them all non-psychoactive.
CBD isolate [which is on the opposite side of the spectrum (no pun intended)] is refined into its most pure option. Plant matter and flavor are nonexistent, therefore it is ideal for the pickiest of beagles.
What Level of CBD Dosage Do Beagles Need?
There are a few tried-and-true guidelines to keep in mind [after consulting your veterinarian first]:
- Their Size: As beagles are clearly a smaller breed, generally they will require less CBD than a larger breed counterpart. With that in mind, every product is different, so make any adjustments to their dosage based on their size, weight and activity level accordingly. Most high-quality CBD oil products will provide a dosage chart dependent on your dog’s weight.
- Pre-existing Conditions: Beagles can have conditions that may affect their ability to metabolize the CBD? Some examples would be kidney or liver-related issues.
- The Product: As you can imagine, depending on the product you use, the dosage may vary widely. CBD concentration is typically listed in milligrams and calculated by multiplying a standard ratio to your dog’s weight (e.g. 0.25 mg X 20 pounds = 5 mg dosage). If you’re not a math type of person, no worries. Most products do the computations for you.
- Therapeutic vs. Medicinal: CBD concentration/dosage can hinge also on what type of ailment you’re treating. Typically, a lower dosage is utilized for therapeutic needs — think along the lines of anxiety, inflammation or injury pain. Or a higher dosage may be utilized for medicinal needs — think along the lines of cancer or epilepsy.
Is CBD Oil Healthy For My Beagle?
Generally, CBD oil is considered low-risk for beagles, as long as there is no THC, as they are not meant for dogs. However, I’d encourage you to consult your veterinarian before providing any CBD to your beagle in any form.
As infrequent it is, drowsiness is the most common side effect. While the proper dosage is important, if your dog does ingest too much, he or she might experience dry mouth, diarrhea or dizziness. Generally, a lethal overdose isn’t a risk with CBD oil. Ideally, the CBD products you should use should be as pure as possible, to avoid any unexpected potentially harmful conflicts.
If you suspect that your beagle has consumed an oil with THC, you need to get them to the veterinarian immediately. Some signs and symptoms to be mindful of include:
- Heavy drooling
- Unusual behavior
Other Medical Considerations For My Beagle
- They’re Taking Medication: If your beagle is on any sort of prescription or OTC medicine, you are furthermore encouraged to consult your veterinarian to ensure there will not be any negative interactions. High doses of CBD (oil) can also inhibit your beagles’ liver’s metabolic rate of certain drugs, which could impact the efficacy of other medications your dog is taking.
- Organic Options: To further avoid exposing your beagle to harmful substances, using organic oil may be a strong contender. Look for oils that can certify their hemp was grown organically. Another interesting point to keep in mind is not only the potentially harmful substances that are put into the oil but how the oil is created through the extraction process. Cold-press extraction and superficial CO2 processes are considered amongst the safest as they don’t introduce harmful agents. A further safeguard is to see if the CBD oil has been tested by an independent laboratory.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
The legal status of CBD oil for beagles is legal in all 50 U.S. states with conditions. Accordingly, since CBD is a hemp product, it is legal also. Be mindful though, that’s it’s perfectly legal to buy and possess CBD oil — as long as it has less than a concentration of .3% THC and is derived from hemp.
As with any type of supplement, governmental oversight is minimal therefore consumers must do their due diligence. If you considering providing your beagles with anything CBD related [oil, tincture; etc] be sure to consult your veterinarian first. Upon approval from them, it’s imperative to seek reputable companies with high-quality products to ensure a balanced supplemental profile.
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made through affiliate links on this site. The commissions do not impact the price you pay for those products, nor do they influence which product(s) we may or may not recommend on this site. After all — we just want your beagle to be happy and healthy.